Monday, April 9, 2007

Everybody Hates Chris

If you enjoy sitcoms, you might like this show! My teenagers get a kick out of the childhood of Chris Rock. That is one funny guy! Damien has been in several Everybody Hates Chris (EHC) shows. I like to think of him as a regular on the show, but he's not. We do have hope for next season though. Our first time to this set on Paramount was quite different than his job at Warner Brothers. First, we had a hard time getting past the check point. They didn't have our names on their list. While we waited more kids started showing up and also weren't on the waiting list. So the uniformed guards called our managers and got a confirmation that we could enter the studio.





Paramount Studios

Once inside we had a long walk to the studio. We waited in a waiting area that had seating but was also a pass through for a hallway. Signs were up on the wall pointing to the office of Charlie Wilson's War. It was filming in the studio right next door to Everybody Hates Chris. My fingers were crossed that I might get a peek at Tom Hanks or Julia Roberts.



Working on Everybody Hates Chris was quite an experience. Damien made a friend on this job, Nancy, and I became friends with her mother, Maggie. We stay in touch and spent Valentine's together this year. Even though EHC doesn't feed the background actors or parents, we actually enjoy walking to their small outdoor food court and eating among other actors there. We've met some very nice people there including other actors and crew. It's a long day on this set but we love it.

Since parents are allowed to be within eyeshot of their acting child, I always hang around the set. Other parents will go to the holding area, which has been in different places on the studio grounds. The first time on this job we were held in an old theater far from where the kids were shooting. The next few times we were held in an empty studio, which is basically a big empty building.



Parents holding area.

One time while sitting just outside the door of the holding area, we saw Chris Rock standing across from us. I started to take his picture with my cell phone when another Mom covered my phone. She said we weren't allowed to take photos. Darn! A lost opportunity. I just wanted it for my son's scrapbook. The next day when we entered Paramount Studios we were given a map that also mentioned, no cameras allowed. Yikes! I had no idea. Another time on the set, also sitting outside the doorway again, I watched as Tom Hanks and his wife rode by on their bikes. Later I would see them again but I didn't say Hi or stare, just casually walked on by. I know that they need their privacy and they must get bombarded with fans on the streets and don't need that while on the set. I was curious about Charlie Wilson's War since they were taking parts of an airplane onto their set, but I didn't want to take a chance and enter a set where I didn't belong.


Watching EHC film was amazing. I had no idea how easily the walls can be moved around. I actually thought the show was filmed in a real school but it isn't. It's a built set. Damien has played the part of an Italian student attending Corelone Jr high School. Coreleone is "Chris's" school. He did nothing but walk in the halls for two days. Another time he played a student at Dolemite Elementary School, which is where Chris's little sister attends. Damien is in a library where they're having a book sale. After shooting all day, you can only get a glimpse of him as he walks past a doorway.


On the EHC set.

We both enjoy this job because everyone is so nice there. The wardrobe lady goes out of her way to make sure everyone is dressed just right (1980's show) and the hair/make-up lady was so proud of Damien for growing his hair to donate. At the time of filming EHC, Damien had hair to his waist and the hair/make-up lady would tie it back into a braid and tuck it down Damien's shirt. Even the crew were nice and would make sure we got a good view of our kids while shooting. We have our fingers crossed that he gets recalled as a regular on this show!

Hair and Make-up. Damien having his hair braided.

No comments: